Housing Discrimination Complaints


This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

Filing a Complaint With Enforcement Agencies

Persons who believe they have experienced housing discrimination while trying to rent or buy an apartment or home, can file an administrative complaint within 1 year of the alleged violation with the following enforcement agencies:

Filing a Suit in Federal or State Courts

In addition, you may also file suit, at your expense, in federal district court or state court within 2 years of an alleged violation. If you cannot afford an attorney, the court may appoint one for you. You may bring suit even after filing a complaint with HUD or DFEH, if you have not signed a conciliation agreement and an administration law judge has not started a hearing. A court may award actual punitive damages and attorney's fees and costs. For more information about how to file a civil suit in state or federal court, view the Sacramento County Public Law Library website.